It may be convenient that a location being described as part of a SAM be opened in either Apple or Google maps app on the mobile device. This allows the device’s location to be the starting point, and the location of the destination automatically entered.
This is easily done by adding a Longitude and Latitude value to the following URL’s”
Getting a Long/Lat for a Location
Getting the longitude and latitude of a location is a quick copy/paste using Google Maps. Search for the location you want to use as the destination. In this example, it will be The Geographic Center of the United States (lower 48).
On the map, right-click the red location pin and select the long/lat value at the top, it will be copied to the clipboard.
Paste that value to the end of the URLs shown above and will end up looking like this:
- http://maps.google.com?q=39.82853538502688, -98.57947970166312
- http://maps.apple.com?q=39.82853538502688, -98.57947970166312
The full URL can now be inserted into any of the URL supported fields in the following Blocks:
When a user taps that URL in a SAM while on a mobile device, the Map application will open on the device.
- On Android devices, either one can be used as there is no Apple maps on those devices and the link will automatically open in Google Maps.
- On iOS, both URLs need to be used to allow the user to select the app of their choice.
- Using only the maps.apple.com URL would work on both devices, but the iOS user would not have the option to use Google Maps with a single click.
Please sign in to leave a comment.